J and I went to Cheesecake Factory on Saturday and he ordered a dish that had succotash as the side. I of course had a taste too and it was surprisingly good. So here we are on Monday and I’m trying to figure out what to make. I was thinking of steak and potatoes for J and he suggested making the succotash as the veggie using corn and a few different peppers. I found the recipe online for the one at the Cheesecake Factory but I did tweak it quite a bit.I also ended up switching out to steak to fried chicken lol. Soooo here we goooo
The definition Succotash: an American dish of corn and lima beans cooked together So there are no lima beans in my version lol
What you will need (Succotash)
- 1 can of corn (15oz)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice up your onions, red pepper and orange pepper. Mix this up in a bowl and set aside
- In a skillet drop in the corn, paprika, cumin and garlic salt. Drop in 1 tbsp in butter. Stir frequently on high heat until the corn browns a bit
- Once corn starts to brown and heat up, add in minced garlic and stir in with corn.
- Next throw in the bowl of veggies in with the corn and 1 tbsp butter. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Let corn and veggies brown and mix together stir frequently until all veggies are golden and brown. Veggies should have a slight crunch to them (not soggy.
- While the succotash was cooking, I boiled some water and cheated on the potatoes.
Now I’m ready to “plate” it or bowl it lol whatever you want to call it.
Now this is not the healthiest meal you will be eating, but it would be super easy to make it healthy.
- Baked chicken instead of fried
- No potatoes (less carbs)
- Use EVOO instead of butter for the veggies
Since the other items (fried chicken and potatoes) are pretty much already made, this dinner is fairly quick if your tired or don’t wanna cook too much 🙂
Let me know your thoughts in the comments!