Pasta should be it’s own food group I think. If given the choice (and wasn’t full of carbs) I’d have pasta for every single meal. Sadly, it is not the healthiest option so I try to make it count when I do have it.
That brings me to this quick and fun little recipe. This recipe took about 25 minutes from start to finish. Here’s what you will need to get started
- 1 bag of frozen tortellini (16oz bag)
- 1 lb sausage (grocery aisle by the bacon)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jar Bertoli Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic Sauce
- 2 TBSP Barilla Pesto
- 2 gloves minced garlic
- Garlic salt, pepper and salt to taste
- Crushed red pepper
Let’s Get Started
- Dice up onion and sausage and drop into a skillet. Add in minced garlic and sautee until sausage starts to crisp on the edges and onions are clearish.
- In a separate pot, prepare tortellini per instructions on the bag.
- Once tortellini is cooked, drain water in a strainer and let tortellini sit.
- Take the pot and add 1 jar of Bertoli (leave the burner temp at medium) and add two tablespoons of the pesto. Mix together and let warm on stove.
- Add the onions and sausage to the sauce pot and mix thoroughly. Add garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste. (I put in a dash of each).
- Add back the cooked tortellini and mix thoroughly so all pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Let simmer on stove at medium for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from stove and serve.
- Garnish with crushed red pepper (for spice) and parmesan.
Thankfully this was quick and easy and I was able to freeze the leftovers to take with me on my camping trip. I’m glad I took the rest of it with me since my mom ended up eating it more than I did 🙂