Tortellini I think is my new favorite to work with when making a pasta dish. This is the second tortellini dish I am making this month.
So I got back from my weeklong camping trip and was craving something homemade. Looked in my freezer and we had thick steaks and frozen tortellini. Of course, I was game so I looked on Pinterest to find a recipe that used both of these ingredients. Side note: do you guys try to find recipes that include the stuff you already have at home? I’ve been trying to do this more often, rather than grocery shop specific to a recipe. Anyways I found one I liked and realized I needed only a couple easy items from the store to make it happen so I was game. Below is a part of the recipe below but includes the tweaks I made 🙂
This turned out to be a huge winner with J and we inhaled the leftovers within a day and a half lol.
What you need:
- 1 bag tortellini (16oz)
- 2 lbs steak
- 1 onion
- 3 minced garlic gloves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup brocoli
- Shaved parmesan
- Salt & pepper to taste
Let’s get started
- Heat up olive oil and butter in the skillet
- Dice up your onions and mushrooms and throw them in your skillet. I used a large skillet/saucepan since I wanted to cook the rest of the dish in the same pan.
- While onions and mushrooms saute with the minced garlic, slice up the steak length wise. I trim the fat off the sides as well. Place in a smaller skillet to brown slightly (leave mostly pink). The steak will finish cooking in the sauce in a later step. I would also cut the steak once more into a shorter strip.
- Back to your onion pan, add in your Pesto.
- Add in your semi cooked steak
- Pour in one cup heavy whipping cream and half cup of white wine.
- While sauce is mixing with the steak, cook the tortellini per the package instructions and then mix into skillet.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow it to thicken up.
- Lastly, I cooked the broccoli in the microwave and chopped it up a bit and mixed into the sauce towards the end and let the sauce simmer another 5 minutes.
For the finally, garnish pasta with shaved parmesan and serve 🙂
Honestly, this was probably J and I’s favorite pasta dish I have made thus far. I will definitely be making this again soon!
Here is the Ninja chopper shown above. Click here